Friday, April 29, 2011

A Child's Perspective of a Lawn

Taraxacum, family Asteraceae.Image via Wikipedia

This is the first time Olivia has been able to walk in spring. She loves going around a picking the dandelions in our yard. She get so excited and brings them to me and we smell them together. She loves the "weeds" the cover our lawn.
I can remember as a child making wishes on the seeds. My parents never cared that I was spreading these "weeds" around more. I never saw them as weeds till I was much older and told that they are weeds. I still don't feel this to be true. I love the little splash of color they give my lawn, but I do remove them from my flower gardens.

Last summer I was at a BBQ at a friend's home whose husband is obsessed with keeping their lawn perfect. They own the perfect McMansion in the perfect neighborhood so he is obsessed with keeping their lawn neat and green. They get their lawn sprayed often to keep the "weeds" away.
I was outside by the swings, which are near their neighbors yard playing with the kids. One young child said to himself "Wow" looking at the neighbors yard "look how pretty their grass is." It was covered with dandelions. He looked around the yard we we're in with a sad kind of look. "I wish this lawn was as pretty."

I just love the way children see the world. I wish adults would take the time to see what they see.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment