Tuesday, May 25, 2010
I wanted to post this list of safest sunscreens by EWG. I am a big believer in being careful what you put on your skin and your babies skin. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. I do not feel the government test the chemicals properly that they allow in sunscreens, in any skin products really.
1. Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, Unscented, SPF 30, $12.97
2. Kabana Skin Care Green Screen Organic Sunscreen, SPF 22, $5
3. Beyond Coastal Lip & Face Screen, $7.69
4. Desert Essence Age Reversal Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30, $9.59
5. Jason Natural Products Sunbrellas Chemical Free Sun Block, $9.40
The worst according to EWG has several just for babies!!
. Banana Boat Baby Max Protect, SPF 100
EWG says,"the sky-high SPF protects against sunburn but leaves skin exposed to damaging UVA rays."
2. Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection, SPF 55
EWG contradicts Aveeno's "Mild as water" statement and says this is nothing like water when swallowed.
3. Anthony Logistics for Men Sunstick, SPF 15
EWG calls out that this stick is not safe for eyes at all and actually, not a lot of sunscreen makers are creating products that are eye-safe.
4. Banana Boat Ultra Defense Sunscreen Stick, SPF 50
EWG points out that "even though sunscreen makers like Banana Boat often use stabilizing additives to keep their ingredients from breaking down in sunlight, the product still doesn't last forever on the skin."
5. Hawaiian Tropic Baby Creme Lotion, SPF 50
EWG claims that "this would only earn 1 star in FDA's proposed 4 star UVA labeling scheme" and that it does not provide "advanced UVA protection" like the bottle says.