Thursday, March 15, 2012

St Patrick's Day

I just love St. Patrick's Day. I worked at an Irish pub for years and even though it was a crazy busy day it was filled with good food, good friends, dancing and music. Now with young children I plan to keep some of our Irish heritage alive on this day. In the morning I will start an Irish stew in the crock pot for dinner. We will also make Irish soda bread to have with dinner. Then on to some crafting. Since Liv is only 2 we will just do the simple craft of dipping a pepper in green paint to make shamrocks. When they are older I will explain who St. Patrick was and how the shamrock is often shown to explain how the Trinity works, 3 leafs but really it is all one. There is so much history behind the story of St. Patrick, but much of this will go over their heads. Right now I just explain how St. Patrick was a very important person in Ireland because he led so many people to believe in Jesus. We will listen to some Irish music and sing some old songs. I will also show Liv how to do the Irish jig. I may also let her watch some of the St. Patrick's Day parade. Hopefully one day we will go get to go see it. I did in my younger days, but being 22 I was doing it more for the drink then the entertainment. When they are older I plan to take them out to some places that have Irish step dancing and bag pipers, but at their young age it is just too much for them right now. At night when they are asleep I will enjoy a drink with my husband. Happy St. Patricks Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment