Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What's in Your Breast milk?

I always thought that your body took what it need for breast milk and ignored the rest. That your body took the right fats, vitamins and minerals and made breast milk perfect for your baby. This is partial true, but recently I read that trans fats can make there way into your milk. I couldn't believe this. If you eat trans fats they may come out in your breast milk and replace some of the other fats in your milk. I always avoid trans fats as much as possible. But they are in our food in some sneaky ways. If less then .5 grams of trans fat are present the label can say 0 grams of trans fat. If you eat more then one serving you are eating 1 gram of trans fat. This small amount could add up through out the day. Your milk could be missing some great things too. Omega 3s. They are brain food for your baby and for you. Fish is a great source of omega 3s, I also take a fish oil supplement just in case I'm not eating enough fish. Breast milk is so amazing for your baby, so why not make sure it is perfect for your baby in every way and not let our modern junk get into your milk.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I had no idea about the trans fats. Good thing I rarely eat it.

    ReplyDelete